Museums, Historical Sites and Markers
Bass River Lighthouse
Lighthouse Road, West Dennis
Bass River Light was among the last of 30 lighthouses erected beginning in 1797 on Cape Cod and the islands. Built in 1855 atop a large keeper's house, it had a range of 12 miles and flashed a white light every 6 seconds. The lighthouse replaced a lantern hung in the attic window of a private residence. It provided safe passage for an active fishing and packet fleet for 60 years. The light was shut down in 1880, re-activated in 1881 and continued until 1914. Acquired as a private residence, the keeper's house was expanded in 1933 and later as the Lighthouse Inn.